Trump documents investigation: Court lifts Mar-a-Lago record

0
43

[ad_1]

Washington: In a stern rebuttal of Donald trumpA federal appeals court on Wednesday allowed the Justice Department to resume the use of classified records seized from the former president’s Florida property as part of its ongoing criminal investigation.
The decision of a three-judge panel of the US Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit resulted in a landslide victory for the Justice Department, clearing the way for investigators to continue investigating documents as they consider storage to bring criminal charges. Or not. in top-secret records mar-a-lago After Trump leaves the White House. By removing a stay on a key aspect of the department’s investigation, the court removed a hurdle that could have delayed the investigation by weeks.
The appeals court also explicitly noted that Trump had presented no evidence that he had declassified sensitive records, as he maintained as recently as Wednesday, and ruled out the possibility that Trump’s The pass may contain “personal interest or need” in about 100 documents. Classification marks confiscated by FBI In my August 8 search of Palm Beach property.
The government argued that its investigation had been hindered, and national security concerns were overcome, by an order by U.S. District Judge Eileen Cannon, which temporarily barred investigators from continuing to use the documents in their investigations. was stopped. Cannon, who appointed Trump, had said the hold would remain in place pending a separate review by an independent arbitrator appointed at the request of the Trump team to review the record.
The appeals panel agreed with the Justice Department’s concerns.
“It is self-evident that the public has a keen interest in ensuring that the storage of classified records does not result in ‘extraordinarily serious damage to national security’,” he wrote. “Ensuring,” he said, “reviewing documents as necessary, determining who had access to them and when, and deciding which (if any) sources or methods were compromised Is.”
An injunction that delayed criminal investigations or “prevented the use of classified materials risks imposing real and significant harm on the United States and the public,” they wrote.
Two of the three judges who issued Wednesday’s ruling — Britt Grant and Andrew Brasher — were nominated by Trump to the 11th Circuit. Judge Robin Rosenbaum was nominated by former President Barack Obama.
Trump’s lawyers did not return an email seeking comment about whether they would appeal the decision. The Justice Department had no immediate comment.
The FBI seized nearly 11,000 documents, including about 100 with classification markings, during a court-authorized search of the Palm Beach club last month. It has launched a criminal investigation into whether records were mishandled or compromised, although it is unclear whether Trump or anyone else will be charged.
Canon ruled on September 5 that it would name an independent arbitrator, or special master, to conduct an independent review of those records and exclude any individuals who may be covered by claims of attorney-client privilege or executive privilege and It will determine whether any of these materials should be returned to Trump.
Raymond Deary, a former chief justice of the Brooklyn-based federal court, has been named for the role and held his first meeting with attorneys for both sides on Tuesday.
The Justice Department argued that a special master review of classified documents was not necessary. It said Trump had no plausible basis for invoking executive privilege on the documents, nor could the records be covered by attorney-client privilege because they did not include communications between Trump and his lawyers.
It had also opposed the Cannon order requiring Dearie and Trump’s lawyers to grant access to classified material. The court sided with the Justice Department on Wednesday, saying, “Courts should order a review of such material only in the most exceptional circumstances. The record does not permit the conclusion that this is such a circumstance.”
Trump has repeatedly said that he has made the material public. In a Fox News Channel interview recorded Wednesday before the appeals court’s ruling, he said, “If you’re the President of the United States, you can just declassify by saying ‘this is unclassified’.”
Although his lawyers have said that a president has an absolute right to make the information public, he has stopped claiming that the record was declassified. The Trump team this week resisted providing Dearie with any information to support the idea that the record could be declassified, saying the issue could be part of his defense in the event of an indictment. .
The Justice Department has said there is no indication that Trump took any steps to declassify the documents and even included a photo in a courtroom showing some of the seized documents with colored covers. were filed with the sheet indicating their classified status. The appeals court also said the same thing.
The judges wrote, “The plaintiff has suggested that he may have declassified these documents when he was president. But there is no evidence on record that any of these records were declassified.” “In any event, at least for these purposes, the declassification argument is a red herring because declassifying an official document will not alter its content or render it in person.”



[ad_2]

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here